Wednesday, February 8, 2017

False Biblical Quote: Life Or Light?

"I am the way, the light, and the truth."

I cannot begin to tell you the number of times I have seen this over the years. Most of the time they have the correct order, but still the wrong word: "I am the way, the truth, and the light." I have even heard it in lyrics to Christian songs; one of which appears in a children's cartoon (VeggieTales: An Easter Carol - Hope's Song by Rebecca St. James [see below]).

 

This quote is evidence that these people do not know, if they even read, their Bibles. If they did, they would know that what Jesus said was, "I am the way, the truth, and the life" (John 14:6). Life! Not light! It is akin to this verse: "I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" (John 11:25).

The only time Jesus said He was the light is when He said, "I am the light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life" (John 8:12), followed by, "While I am in the world, I am the light of the world" (John 9:5). What Jesus said was that He is the "light of the world."

Life, eternal life, is only found in Christ Jesus. While He was on this Earth, He was the light of the world. Now that He is gone, we, God's adopted sons and daughters, are the light of the world (Matt. 5:14). Whether here or in Heaven, Jesus remains the only way, the only truth, and the only life. He is the only way to eternal life, and He is the only truth of eternal life. He gives eternal life to His own, those who trust and believe in Him with their whole heart and being.
"Whoever believes in [Jesus] should not perish, but have eternal life." John 3:15

"My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand." John 10:27-28

"Father, the hour has come; glorify Your Son, that the Son may glorify You, even as You gave Him authority over all flesh, that to all whom You have given Him, He may give eternal life. This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent." John 17:1-3

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 6:23

"And the testimony is this, that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son." 1 John 5:11
"I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life." —Jesus