Monday, September 3, 2018

The Spring of True Obedience to God

by Charles Spurgeon

"This is love: that we walk in obedience to His commands." 2 John 1:6

Love to God is the spring of true obedience to God.

One who is not obedient to His commandments, is evidently not a true believer; for although good works do not save us. yet, being saved, believers are sure to produce good works.

Though the fruit is not the root of the tree, yet a well-rooted tree will, in its season, bring forth its fruits. So, though the keeping of the commandments does not make me a child of God, yet, being a child of God, I shall be obedient to my heavenly Father. But this I cannot be, unless I love God.

A mere external formal obedience is not sincere obedience in God's sight. He abhors the sacrifice, where the heart is not found. I must obey Him because I love Him, or else I have not truly obeyed at all. See then, that to produce the indispensable fruits of saving faith, there must be sincere love for God.

"If you love Me, you will obey what I command." John 14:15

"Whoever has My commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves Me." John 14:21

"If anyone loves Me, he will obey My teaching." John 14:23

"He who does not love Me will not obey My teaching." John 14:24