Monday, May 20, 2019

King James, Geneva, and Tyndale

There are a lot of people (Christians?) out there who do not know their Bible translations/versions very well. About a week ago, I was trying to look up the numerous times the KJV gave an alternate and incorrect translation from that of Tyndale's, and I ended up reading a few write-ups concerning the Tyndale New Testament, the Geneva Bible, and the King James Bible. The one author was claiming that the KJV is most identical to Tyndale's work, taking largely from him. The same author also claimed that the Geneva Bible had translations that were not very good or in line with the KJV. This author provided a couple of his "examples" to try and prove his case. One such "example" was John 14:6, where he said the Geneva translated it as "that Way, that Truth, and that Life," instead of "the Way, the Truth, and the Life."

Well, his arguments were entirely wrong and based on purposefully false information.

First, while the KJV translators were supposed to use the 1602 edition of the Bishop's Bible as their base text, a comparison of the Geneva Bible with the KJV shows that the translators were far more influenced by the Geneva Bible than any other. Tyndale's work also influenced the Geneva.

Second, I pulled out my 1560 Geneva Bible to see if his claims about John 14:6 were true. The words of the 1560? "I am the Way, and the Truth, and the Life." Well, maybe he was talking about the 1557 Geneva New Testament. So I pulled it out to check. Its words? "I am the Way, and the Truth, and the Life." Hmm... Okay, one last check. I pulled out my 1599 Geneva Bible. Ah... Here's what he was referring to. "I am that Way, and that Truth, and that Life." I am willing to bet that if I were to check out all his other "examples" he used, they would have come from the 1599 as well.

Sadly, even the Tolle Lege updated 1599 Geneva Bible has this translation error: "I am that Way, and that Truth, and that Life." And these guys somehow think this edition has a leg up over the 1560 edition? I do not think so!

Be careful what you read when reading about the Geneva Bible and the King James Bible, especially when presented by a KJV-Only individual. They will glorify the King James Bible while demonizing the Geneva Bible with false accusations. These people tend to have zero knowledge of church history or biblical history. They merely regurgitate false information that has been fed to them from other false sources.