Sunday, March 31, 2024

Jesus' Letters to the Churches

Jesus gave the apostle John a letter to write to seven different congregations. These letters were not merely for those seven congregations alone, but for every denomination and every organized religious institution and every professing believer today as well! Read them with wisdom, understanding, and discernment, and you may see yourself in one or more of them. Then REPENT and get back on course!

Dear Ephesus,
I know you are patient and hardworking. You believe the right things, and you don't give up when things are hard. But you've lost your love for me and for others. Repent and remember what you used to be like. If you overcome your lack of love, you will live with me in paradise.
(see Rev. 2:1-7)
Like Ephesus, many professing believers today have lost their love for Jesus and for others and need to overcome their lack of love. Having been like Ephesus, I am learning to love others the way Jesus commanded me to, to love my neighbours as myself and to love my enemies and do good to them.

Dear Smyrna,
I know you are poor and have many trials, but don't be afraid of suffering. If you are faithful unto death, I will give you the crown of life.
(see Rev. 2:8-11)
Wanting to be like Smyrna, I desire to be faithful to my Lord and King, Jesus, until death.

Dear Pergamum,
I know you live in a difficult place. You hold fast to my name and are not afraid to share the good news. But some of you have started believing the wrong things. Repent and stick to the word of God. If you get rid of the lies, I will give you the bread of eternal life.
(see Rev. 2:12-17)
Like Pergamum, many professing believers today have believed the wrong things and need to get rid of the lies they have been told and have embraced. Having been like Pergamum, I am getting rid of the lies of the past 1,700 years and conforming to the faith of the first 3 centuries.

Dear Thyatira,
I know your love and faith and service. But you are too tolerant. You put up with sinful behaviour and false teachers. Repent and deal with the sin in your midst. If you are willing to be unpopular, I will make you shine like stars in the heavens.
(see Rev. 2:18-29)
Like Thyatira, many professing believers today have become too tolerant by putting up with sinful behaviour and false teachers amongst themselves. Having been like Thyatira, I am willing to be unpopular by calling out sinful behaviour and false teachers among Christ's Body, especially when they behave contrary to it.

Dear Sardis,
I know you have the reputation of being alive, but you are dead. Wake up! Your works are not as good as you think. Repent and stop living a double life. If you put off dirty things, I will give you clean, white clothes so you can live with me forever.
(see Rev. 3:1-6)
Like Sardis, many professing believers today need to stop living a double life and realize that their works are not as good as they think. Having been like Sardis, I realize my works are not what they should be, and I need to be fully committed to the Lord Jesus. You cannot serve two masters: choose either the Lord or choose the world, but you cannot have both.

Dear Philadelphia,
I know your good works. You may seem small and weak, but you have kept my word and not denied my name. If you stand strong, I will make you a pillar in my heavenly temple.
(see Rev. 3:7-13)
Wanting to be like Philadelphia, I desire to keep Jesus' word by obeying His commandments and teachings, standing strong and not denying His name.

Dear Laodicea,
I know that you are lukewarm, like bland, yucky water. You are leaving a bad taste in my mouth. You think you are rich and have it all together, but you are poor and falling apart. Repent and get serious about your faith. If you open the door, I will come in and feast with you.
(see Rev. 3:14-22)
Like Laodicea, many professing believers today think they are rich and have it all together when they are actually poor and falling apart, needing to get serious about their faith. Having been like Laodicea, I have become serious about my faith, wanting to be obedient to the teachings of Christ Jesus.