Tuesday, March 18, 2014

I Will Be Happy Tomorrow

from Wretched Newsletter November 2013

When I am married, then I will be happy.  Until you tie the knot.

When I have children, then I will be happy.  Until you have kids.

When my children are more self-sufficient, then I will be happy.  Until they are out of diapers.

When my children are in school, then I will be happy.  Until they ride off on the bus.

When my children leave the home, then I will be happy.  Until you are an empty nester.

When I retire, then I will be happy.  Until you don’t have to wake up to your alarm clock.

A Syllogism
Here is a syllogism that is trustworthy and true: Satan is a liar and the father of lies.  Satan is in control of the world system.  Therefore, the world system is a lie.

The world system tells you that happiness lies just around the corner.  Happiness is not where you are, but where you think you should be.  Happiness is anything but this.  That is a lie.

Perhaps you have purchased the lie.  Perhaps you are in a funk because you are not living this God ordained moment with joy.  Perhaps you have worked yourself into a state of frustration because today is not tomorrow.  You need a Biblical re-orientation.

“This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it." (Ps.118:24) So how do we do that?

Good Theology
Once again, our worries, problems, anxieties, frustrations and confusions have a solution in good theology.
  1. The doctrine of sovereignty reminds you that the day you are living is exactly the day that God has ordained for you.  (Ps.37:23).  You are supposed to be in the season you are in.  You will NEVER be content with any season until you realize that you are in the season that God has pre-arranged for you.

  2. The two verses before Ps. 118:24 give us our reason to be glad today, “The stone which the builders rejected has become the chief corner stone.  This is the Lord’s doing; it is marvelous in our eyes.” (Ps.118:23,24)  Knowing that we have a Savior allows us to rejoice today, not tomorrow when we perceive that things will be easier or better.
If you have grown discontent because you perpetually long for tomorrow, re-orient your thinking.  Today is the day God wants you to live, and He wants you to live it for Him because He has provided a cornerstone for you.