Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Questions vs. Statements

"I Can't Afford It" vs "How Can I Afford It?"

Questions open the mind; statements close the mind. When you say, "I can't afford it," while it might be true, your mind shuts down. You become what you say. When you ask, "How can I afford it," though you might not be able to, your mind opens up. You begin considering possibilities in order to achieve the goal.

If you really want people to learn, such as the brainwashed hive-mind Leftists, ask them questions. Do not merely give them point blank factual statements. You tell it like it is, making statements, and their minds shut down. If you ask them questions, forcing them to locate the answers, it opens their minds up. They have no choice but to use their minds.

Asking questions is difficult. Trust me, I know. When someone is blatantly wrong, you just want to correct them with truthful statements. You do not want to play games like 20 questions. But that is the only real way to teach them. When I taught myself basic CGI, I remember looking at the code and asking myself, "What if I wrote it this way? Would that achieve my goal?" For the longest time, the script kept breaking every time I tried something and I would have to try again. After about a week of trying various thoughts, finally one I jotted down while working at a pig farm accomplished exactly what I had been striving for.

A Christian who studies the Bible should be doing the same thing. I have been praised because of how quickly I can cut through various doctrinal positions in order to arrive at the truth, and how I can do so with such ease. Apart from being a gift from God, the other reason why I can do so is because I ask questions. I think about it. It forces me to weigh all views and filter them through the Bible (instead of the other way around). For example, if you use 2 Peter 3:9 to teach that God is not willing that any people on Earth should perish into an eternity in Hell, I ask how that squares with passages that state that whatever God purposes, whatever He wills, He accomplishes. Nothing and no one can thwart Him. So if He is not willing that any should perish, and He always accomplishes His will, that would mean that Universalism must be true and every single person will end up in Heaven for eternity. Problem is, the Bible states otherwise. So that shows me that 2 Peter 3:9 does not mean what many people falsely interpret it to mean. The context reveals something entirely different. By asking such questions, I am forced to discover the truth (against whatever feelings or opinions I might have), and, unless I am disobedient and rebellious at heart, reform my beliefs in order to conform with what the Scriptures actually teach.

I am still trying to learn how to ask questions of others so that they are forced to learn and discover the truth for themselves. It is a difficult process.
"You need to find a real teacher as opposed to a fake teacher. A fake teacher is someone who doesn't do what they teach. A real teacher is someone doing what they teach every day." —Robert Kiyosaki
In other words, a real teacher lives out what they teach, while a fake teacher is a hypocrite. Not only does this statement apply to any subject or field of study, but it also applies to the Christian life as well.