Monday, March 14, 2022

I Choose Jesus

by Samantha Russell

The Bible has a lot to say with regard to people and their thoughts. Often, we can see these verses come to life in our daily lives. As of recent, these are the verses that show loudly to me.

"Every way of a man is right in his own eyes:" Proverbs 21:2a

"For the love of money is [a] root of all evil:" 1 Timothy 6:10a

How often as of late have we heard these phrases?

  • "I did it because I didn't want to lose my job."
  • "I did it because I wanted to still go to restaurants with my friends."
  • "I did it because I wanted to travel."
  • " I did it because I wanted to fit in."

For some, we didn't agree with what happened, but we did it because we didn't want to miss out on what we were used to or lose what we have. For others, maybe they made their choices in life because they put themselves in a position where they really felt they had no choice.

"The rich ruleth over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender." Proverbs 22:7

The problem I see happening right now is not right vs. wrong, because I think we all know deep down that what is happening isn't right on any level.

The problem is that we've placed ourselves in positions where we feel as though we couldn't possibly stand for truth because it would infringe upon our standard of living, whatever it may be. The stress of of having it taken away is too much. It places us in a position where we have no control.

So even when we feel something isn't right, we choose and justify it because it meets our standard, thus it must be right.

But what if we looked at the whole verses?

"Every way of a man is right in his own eyes: but the LORD pondereth the hearts." Proverbs 21:2

God knows the reason you made your decisions.

"For the love of money is [a] root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows." 1 Timothy 6:10

Having money isn't wrong--never has been, but if our decisions are based on the want to have more money and not trust God will provide, we have erred. We have placed our finances in our hands and the hands of others, thus allowing ourselves to be moved by whoever has the power. Again, I reference Proverbs 22:7.

God didn't intend for us to be governed by anyone but him. Yet, we allow it and we put ourselves in positions to allow it to take place, and now it's become out of control.

One book of the Bible I like is Haggai. Within the book, God continuously asks the people to consider their ways. Consider what they are doing and why.

I think it's time we do.

For some of us, decisions were made because we wanted to teach our kids to follow those in leadership. Following God's word in Mark 12:17:

"And Jesus answering said unto them, Render (give) to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. And they marvelled at him."

One thought I have heard to this is, "What if the story didn't end there and Jesus was asked, 'What things are God's?'" I know the answer would have been, "Everything is God's."

If we do something against what God has designed and told us to do just because someone in leadership told us to do it, we have erred. We have chosen wrong. Hopefully, God will give us a chance to consider our ways as well and change them.

We often do what is right in our eyes and what is pleasing to us with no regard of how others are affected. The reason I choose Jesus is for many reasons but some are because of these verses below. Because they reveal to me the life I want to live and the world I want to live in.  Only God can provide this.

"Thou shalt have no other Gods before me." Exodus 20:3

This refers to God being above leadership, material objects and self. He should be the only one who moves us.

"Let nothing be done through strife (fighting) or vain glory (pride of self); but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves." Philippians 2:3

Think of others' situations, not just focusing on what is best for you. And in thinking of them, help to raise them up.

"A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another." John 13:34

Love people like Christ loved us. Are we willing to lay down our comfort for someone else like Christ left his throne in heaven for us? Are we willing to stand and help someone even if they have a different view from us, like Christ laid down his life for his enemies?

The time has come and passed, and is now needed more than ever... Will we, will you, will I choose to follow God no matter what, trusting his provisions rather than trying to control our situation, above following those we have enslaved ourselves to? Will we consider our ways, and in doing so, will we do what God tells us to do?

"Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me." Matthew 16:24

I leave with this thought. If we choose not to, do we really believe God's Word? If we do, why do we not live it? What has more hold in our life than God?

The choice is always ours.

I have considered my ways, and I have made my decision. Have you?